Thursday, 20 October 2011

Garlands

There is something so occasional and festive about a garland! It's an absolute statement that something spectacular is going on. Whenever or where ever a garland hangs you can guarantee there will be some kind of event...(generally involving food)
In my little town of Louth we have the traditional bunting/garland gracing the roof tops because of the recent Lincolnshire Wolds Food Festival. It was the first one this year and it went down a storm. Before the event you could hear the tourists and visitors asking what was going on weeks before it happened because of the bunting. It's a kind of street party feel that makes a place interesting and intriguing. They still haven't taken it down, and I am very pleased about it.

So, for no particular reason at all, I felt the need to make some kind of garland a few weeks ago. I am one of these that cannot sit and JUST watch telly, I have to be doing something with my hands at the same time, and on this occasion, I was desperate to make something. So, I started with my crocheting hook and some neutral wool. I ended up knocking up a flower garland in about 20 minutes. I made my Sister one too. Then, I decided to make a paper one.....now I am on a roll. A friend of mine is getting married in a few weeks and I have been asked to create a pretty garland for that too. I am loving it!!







Simple d.i.y paper ornaments that are so effective.










An eclectic mix of hanging beauties


No comments: